By Cory Davis / Guidely
Depression Hacking: a New Holistic Technique for Resolving Depression and Anxiety for Good
If you suffer from depression, anxiety or a blend of both, a new technique called Depression Hacking could be the holistic solution that finally brings long-term relief.
Perhaps like you, I have suffered with depression and anxiety at different times throughout my adult life, to different degrees of severity. When I was in my early 20’s, my depression was so devastating, I contemplated my demise nearly daily. My anxiety was crippling my social life and I was becoming more and more hopeless that I would ever live a “normal” life. And like many people who have their normal lives crash into the chaotic mystery of disease, I only knew mainstream Allopathic Medical methods to seek treatment from.
I started seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist and a psychiatrist who had me working through my issues in parallel with medications. I started out with an SSRI drug, as most anyone on this psychiatric journey will, which didn’t work as prescribed and thus was followed by another, and another until after 3 years on this rollercoaster ride, all possible SSRIs had failed to provide relief.
The following year, I was prescribed an addictive medication to treat anxiety. I worried about what the rest of my life would look like addicted to this substance and eventually decided to give up the pharmaceutical approach altogether to head down another mainstream medically suggested path – ElectroConvulsive Therapy (ECT).
There I was, signing myself into the hospital, on my way to be strapped into a bed to receive my first of 12 electroshock therapy treatments. I couldn’t believe it had come to this, but I was finally hopeful that something could work, and after those sessions, I really profoundly had come out of my depression and anxiety… for exactly 4 days.
It was crushing to get a glimpse of what “normal” life could be like, just to have it taken away. My physicians were clueless as to why that would be the cause but they seemed sure about the solution which was 12 more sessions of ECT. With the negative memory effects from my previous 12 sessions in full awareness, I knew I couldn’t go back to do more. My inner voice spoke to me, “There had to be another way,” and I listened.
I started reading every book I could find on the natural treatment of depression and anxiety. I started going to Naturopaths and healers instead of strictly working with MDs and PsyDs. I started experimenting with different diets, supplements, spirituality, psychedelics, “alternative” healing techniques and quickly started seeing glimmers of positive change. I was 25 years old and for the first time in 6 years of profound suffering, I found hope that I could escape depression and anxiety for good.
In the years that would follow, I would get my bachelors degree in Holistic Nutrition, spend a decade in the nutritional supplements and natural healing fields, and cure my tendency toward depression and anxiety in a multitude of ways. It seemed, if there was a way to get depressed or anxious, my body would find it.
I was amazed to find again and again that depression certainly isn’t limited to what mainstream medicine would often have us believe it is, a serotonin regulation problem in the brain best addressed through drug therapy. Through research, blood tests, and copious amounts of trial and error I discovered that there is so much more involved and it took me almost 20 years to see the bigger holistic picture.
Through this 20 year experience, I developed a process of exploring and offering solutions in a vast array of systems that can generate the experience of depression & anxiety. It’s a process called Depression Hacking. If you welcome learning from what this journey through suffering taught me, I would love to share it with you.
Depression Hacking from beginning to end can take 10 to 20 or more guidance sessions, so in this blog I will offer you a brief exploration to begin your own journey.
Depression Hacking is organized through 3 systems of focus and subdivides into individual exploration journeys under each system. Consider exploring the questions below with your healthcare professionals or guide if you struggle with depression and/or anxiety, or if you would like to simply optimize your well being. Please note, these are only 3 samples of my Depression Hacking system.
System 1 – Foundational Physiology
- Genetic Metabolic Factors
- Have you been tested for a MTHFR gene mutation or Pyroluria? These disorders require very specific nutritional supplement protocols to correct and likely underlie many mood problems.
- Hormone Health
- Has your testosterone, estrogens (there are multiple), and progesterone levels been tested recently? Both men and women have optimal levels of these hormones that, when imbalanced, can impact your mood.
- Have you had your vitamin D, Thyroid, and Adrenal Hormone levels tested recently? Have you had the right tests? All of these, if imbalanced, can cause moderate to severe mood and energy changes.
- Brain Health
- Have you had an Omega-3 Index Test? About 60% of your brain is made of fat, and half of that fat is omega-3 fatty acids.
System 2 – Psychological and Emotional
- Self-esteem and Self-actualization
- Are you consciously working toward a goal of self-actualization? Abraham Maslow gifted us a brilliant system for tracking our progress of psychological needs development, and is helpful in mapping our personal development work.
System 3 – Spiritual and Energetic
- Have you explored how different psychedelics offer different therapeutic outcomes? Psychedelics are becoming increasingly popularized therapies for treating depression and anxiety, but dissociatives like Ketamine offer very different benefits than hallucinogens like psilocybin. It’s ideal to work with someone who is experienced in a variety of psychedelic therapies, rather than just one.
I hold hope that you can overcome depression and anxiety. Using a holistic approach to transcend suffering is one that treats your entire body: Physical, Emotional, Psychological, Energetic, and Spiritual. Well wishes to you!
Book a one-on-one with Cory Davis
And find a holistic way to hack through your depression and anxiety problems.